Eastbound Turnpike to close early morning August 12 at Bensalem Interchange
Daytime and nighttime lane restrictions will be in place on U.S. 1 and Street Road (Route 132), and the ramps to and from northbound U.S. 1 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike will be closed at night for bridge, roadway, and utility construction on the project to widen and improve U.S.1 and reconstruct the interchange at Street Road (Route 132), the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today.
The work schedule is:
- Monday, July 6, through Saturday, July 11, from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, and Monday, July 6, through Friday, July 10, from 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM the following morning, single lane closures will be in place on northbound or southbound U.S. 1 between Rockhill Drive and Old Lincoln Highway for roadway and bridge construction;
- Monday, July 6, through Friday, July 10, from 8:00 PM to 6:00 AM the following morning, single lane closures will be in place on eastbound or westbound Street Road (Route 132) between Old Lincoln Highway and Kingston Way for roadway and bridge construction;
- Thursday, July 9, from 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM the following morning, the ramps to and from northbound U.S. 1 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike Toll Plaza will be closed for installation of a sign structure;
- Saturday, July 11, from 11:00 PM to 8:00 AM the following morning, the eastbound Turnpike will be reduced to one lane at the Bensalem Interchange for construction on the U.S. 1 overpass; and
- Sunday, July 12, from 12:00 AM Midnight to 3:00 AM, the eastbound Turnpike will be closed at the Bensalem Interchange for installation of deck beams on the U.S. 1 overpass. Eastbound Turnpike traffic will be detoured on U.S. 1 south to Route 63 (Woodhaven Road) east, then north on Interstate 95 to the York/New Jersey Turnpike ramp to re-enter the eastbound Turnpike.
During the Turnpike ramp closures, northbound U.S. 1 motorists heading for the Turnpike will be directed to the Neshaminy Exit, turn left on Rockhill Drive, then take the ramp to southbound U.S. 1 back to the Turnpike exit. Motorists exiting the Turnpike and heading to northbound U.S. 1 will take the ramp to southbound U.S. 1 to eastbound Street Road (Route 132) to the ramp to northbound U.S. 1.
Motorists are advised to allow extra time when traveling through the work areas because backups and slowdowns will occur. All scheduled activities are weather permitting.
Work on this project will be in accordance with Centers for Disease Control and state Department of Health guidance as well as a project-specific COVID-19 safety plan, which will include protocols for social distancing, use of face coverings, personal and job-site cleaning protocols, management of entries to the jobsite, special signage and relevant training.
Crews currently are reconstructing the middle section along 1.3 miles of U.S. 1, and the westbound side of Street Road (Route 132) under the second major stage of the project. Ongoing activities also include construction of the center sections of U.S. 1 bridges over Street Road (Route 132), the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and the Turnpike ramps at the Bensalem Interchange.
Allan A. Myers, Inc. of Worcester, Montgomery County is the general contractor on the $95.1 million project which is financed with 80 percent federal and 20 percent state funds. The project is expected to complete by late 2022.
This contract (RC1) is the first of three construction contracts to rebuild and widen U.S. 1; replace aging bridges; and install safety enhancements along a four-mile section of the expressway from just north of Philadelphia to just north of Route 413 (Pine Street) in Middletown Township and Langhorne Borough.